Former Erie-Lackawanna Business Car No. 1, parked on one of the turntable leads in Warwick (the table bridge arch can be seen to the right).
The car had been bought by actor Richard B. Shull (starred in the TV series 'Holmes and Yoyo' with John Shuck in the mid-seventies); he arranged with the L&HR to set it up on their property as his 'East Coast' home. It was tied in to electric, water, sewer, and telephone, and resided here for a half-dozen years or so, until 'C'-day. Conrail wasn't as friendly as the L&HR, and the car was moved out within a few weeks of April 1, 1976.
The 'ultimate' mobile home?
Twice a year the rails had to be inspected for internal flaws. The Sperry Rail Service maintained a fleet of self-propelled cars to do this under contract to the individual railroads. This is Sperry car 149 in what remains of the Warwick yards on a February day in the early eighties; by this time it was Conrail from Maybrook to Pelton Road. The Susquehanna owned the segment between Pelton Road and Spart Junction, and was running double-stack trains through Warwick.
After a day of rail inspections, the car would tie up for the night, usually wherever it happened to end up; a remote siding miles from anywhere wasn't unusual. Warwick wasn't too bad as a layover- Main Street was a short two blocks behind the car.
Reading T-1 4-8-4 2102, disguised as D&H 302, stored for the winter- 1973.
As an added source of revenue (and because of its strategic location), the L&HR would often be utilized for storage of rail equipment- especially in the later years.
In 1973, the Delaware & Hudson was celebrating its 150th birthday and wanted to go all out, with steam excursions over the system. Reading T-1 #2102 was given a cosmetic make-over to make it appear as much as possible like the D&H's classic K62 class 4-8-4's. Distinctive 'elephant ear' smoke deflectors were added, the headlight recessed into the smokebox door, trademark 'frog-eye' class lights added, and paint and trim turned it into a credible stand-in for D&H 302.
After the excursion season, it was moved with its auxiliary tender to Warwick and stored, dead, for the winter. It spent most of this time parked in front of the lumber shed, where this shot was taken looking toward the shop building and parked C-420's.
Being a 'bridge line' didn't just mean freight. Case in point:
The Baldwin Locomotive Works was located in Philadelphia. The eastern end of the New Haven was Maybrook. How better to deliver new locomotives from Baldwin to the NH than over the L&HR?
In 1937, the New Haven bought ten semi-streamlined 4-6-4's from Baldwin, specifically to handle heavy passenger trains on fast schedules on its Shore Line between New Haven and Boston. They were dubbed Shoreliners by the railroad, and were very handsome pieces of machinery.
At the time, a friend (the late Milt Helt) was working at Warwick Auto- the local Chevrolet dealership, then located on Railroad Avenue across from the passenger station. This day, he happened to have his camera with him when he heard a 'foreign' whistle blowing for the Elm Street and Main Street crossings. He managed to get out to the street in time to get this 'grab shot' of one of the Shoreliners, apparently being delivered to the New Haven as a deadhead move.
This was probably late spring- early summer 1937. The L&HR was still in the passenger business, and the Station Green looks almost as manicured as a golf course!