The Lehigh and Hudson River's 1st #4, in a formal portrait with its crew between the Warwick station and the Main Street crossing. Behind the locomotive and across the Wawayanda creek, the rear of the buildings are the lower end of the Main Street business district. That part of the view is virtually unchanged today.
The photo is undated, but comparisons with the following shot of #5 are interesting. Both were built at the same time, by Cooke (they had consecutive builder's numbers). Number 4 appears to have been converted to a coal burner from wood- notice the straight stack, lacking the spark-arresting flair as seen on the 5.
1st #5, the "Pequest" poses with its crew, probably in front of the Warwick station. The photo is undated. The engine was built in 1882 by Danforth/Cooke, and had been scrapped by 1902. The 4-4-0 is typical of the road's earliest power.
(Photo from the collection of Skip Green)
Number 9, the "John Rutherford", in a Baldwin Locomotive Works builder's photo. Besides being a rather handsome engine, it is significant for a couple of reasons; it was the first camelback bought by the L&HR, and it was the first locomotive to be purchased from Baldwin. Built in 1886, it set the pattern for motive power for the next 30 years- center-cab, and for the most part, from Baldwin. It would be 1916, when the 70 class was bought, before the L&HR would give up on camelbacks. The 9 was also the only 2-6-0 ever rostered.