The Lehigh and Hudson River Railway
The 50 and 60 class 2-8-0's
The 50 and 60 class engines were 20 nearly identical 2-8-0's bought from Baldwin between 1903 and 1908 for slow, drag freight service. They were slightly larger versions of an earlier series of 4 camelback consolidations that came from Cooke around 1890 (a renumbering in the early 1890's makes it difficult to sort out the roster during this time frame).
Until 1916 with the appearance of the 70 class, they were the 'big boys'.
The 55 rests at Belvedere, awaiting her next asignment.
The 61 sits in the middle of a long line of 'stored dead' engines in Warwick in 1919. The 61 had been upgraded with the 'Economy' valve chest, though retaining it's Stephenson valve gear to time the newer inside admission valves.
BACK TO THE MAIN PAGE
BACK TO MOTIVE POWER